Lately we have been hearing a lot about these “pop up” event venues that take your deposit and then shut down unexpectedly and disappear with your money.
Has this happened to any of you? What did you do? What advice do you have for others planning a wedding or other event?
Here are a few of our tips to avoid getting burned:
- Do your research – how long has the venue been in business?
- Check out their reviews online.
- How many social media followers do they have?
- Check their status with the BBB.
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce to see if they are a member.
- Pay your deposit with a credit card rather than check or cash. Then you can dispute the charge if they try to run.
- Also beware of “too good to be true” type venues that appear really inexpensive. You might just be paying for a shell; seems cheap at first but then you have to pay for everything including tables, chairs, dishes, linens, decor, etc.
Please share your story below if anything like this has happened to you.